Friday, March 20, 2009

Toolbox Alterations

I altered my toolbox in class (even though I had to redo it because the server lost the original) to add detail and make it more personalized to my topic. I specified on the three animal shelters I have intentions of questioning about their euthanasia/adoption levels amongst dogs and cats (Jefferson Parish Animal Shelter, Louisiana Society for Prevention of the Cruelty to Animals Animal Shelter, and Southern Animal Foundation). I wrote in more complete sentences to get the most detail in my data analysis toolbox as I possibly could to make it easier when I started to do my research. I specified what exactly I was using to show the distribution of my data (A. Five Number Summary- min, max, median, Q1, and Q3. B. Histogram- Bar chart representing frequency distribution. They are used to represent quantitative data. C. Standard Deviation- Shows how far away from the mean a specific value is. D. Mean- The average value of the set of observations. It is found by adding all possible observations and dividing by the total observations present. E. Possible outliers- Values that occur a significant distance from the rest of the data. Can be found using 1.5*IQR. IQR is found by subtracting Q1from Q3. If a value falls 1.5*IQR above the max, it is considered an outlier. Similarly, if a value falls 1.5*IQR below the min it is considered an outlier.)


0 comments:

Post a Comment